History of 28th February | Historical Events of 28th February Today
Important events on February 28 :
- In 1580, the first Christian missionary from Goa came to Akbar's court at Fatehpur Sikri.
- Mughal emperor Bahadur Shah I died in Lahore in 1712.
- Sir Stamford Raffles discovered Singapore in 1819.
- Calcutta Medical College started in 1835 in West Bengal.
- America defeated Mexico in 1847 at the Battle of Sacramento.
- Amanullah Khan became the emperor of Afghanistan in 1919.
- Egypt regained independence from Britain in 1922.
- Indian scientist CV Raman invented the "Raman Effect" in 1928, for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize, and this day is celebrated every year as National Science Day.
- Kolkata's Howrah Bridge (Rabindra Setu) opened in 1943.
- The US conducted a nuclear test in 1975 from the Nevada Test Site.
- The world-changing Gulf War ended in 1991 with the surrender of Iraqi security forces.
- US and coalition forces declared a ceasefire in Iraq in 1991.
- In 1992, the UK and India signed an agreement on cooperation against terrorism.
- Denver International Airport opened in 1995 in Colorado, USA.
- In 1996, the Clinton administration decided not to supply arms worth $356 million to Pakistan.
- Andy Elson and Colleen Prescott of Britain set a world record in 1999 for staying in the sky with the help of a balloon for 233 hours 55 minutes.
- The Supreme Court of Portugal allowed the extradition of Abu Salem, an accused in the 2005 Mumbai bomb blasts.
- Four Oscars were awarded in 2005 for Million Dollar Baby.
- In 2008, there was a peace agreement between the Government of Nepal and the United Madhesi Democratic Front.
- Tom Hooper's film "The King's Speech" won the Best Picture award at the 2011 Oscar ceremony held at the Hollywood Kodak Theatre.
People born on February 28 :
- Freedom fighter Lala Lajpat Rai was born in 1865.
- India's 'First Army Commander in Chief' K.M. Cariappa was born in 1899.
- Famous Hindi poet, writer and editor Pandit Narendra Sharma was born in 1913.
- Pandit Jasraj, a world-famous singer of Indian classical music, was born in 1930.
- Ravindra Jain, a famous composer and singer of Indian Hindi cinema, was born in 1944.
People who died on February 28 :
- Rana Uday Singh, ruler of Mewar and father of Maharana Pratap, died in 1572 AD.
- Indian Army Officer General Sir Arthur Power Palmer passed away in 1904.
- Sohrab Modi, a famous Indian actor, died in 1924.
- Kamala Nehru, wife of Jawaharlal Nehru, died in Switzerland in 1936.
- Irish poet William Butler Yotes died in 1939.
- India's first President Rajendra Prasad died in 1963.
- Noted musician O. P. Nayyar passed away in 2007.
- Sri Sri Jayendra Saraswati Shankaracharya, head of the Kanchi Kamakoti Peeth, passed away in 2018.